Saturday, May 15, 2010

Birdwatch : Pheasant tailed Jacana



I had seen this beauty a couple of times. First time at Polachira, near Kollam, and then in Lingambudhi kere , mysore. Both the times I had to be contented with record shots and both the cases, I had found them to be quite shy like the other jacanas.
Today , by accident, after a lousy day out at a lake at Mysore , not able to photograph any good birds, I had loaded my macro lens and started looking around for bugs. Then to my surprise, I saw this bird quite close to the shore, walking amidst the muck. I cursed myself for loading the macro, hid behind a bush and started changing my lens. Then I saw two farmers walk past, talking loudly and I was sure that by the time they pass this guy would be off. But to my surprise it still continued to walk around.
I crouched up to it after loading my lens. But it was down at the lake bed where as I was atop a bund. I sat at the edge of the bund and made a couple of shots. No reaction. All other birds around - herons, moorhens - took off. It still didnt budge. I have never shimmied down that bund even though I have been visiting that place for a year now. I sat at the edge and slid down, fearing that the bird would take off. It became a little alert, but still didnt fly. I sat there for a few minutes to put it at ease and climbed down further. It again paused for a moment and continued on its business. I was now at the lake bed, and about 3-4 meters from him. The white head, and the golden neck (I wish the sun was out, that would have been a wow sight) and the brown back with a long tail, got me captivated. It paused to give a sweet 'meewp' call once a while, and continued wading.
I sat there for about 20 minutes, taking shots after shots and finally the full group took off and flew away . This I guess would be my closest encounter with this beautiful bird, ever!


1 comment: